did you know..
from an article at bottledwateralliance
More than a billion people around the world do not have access to safe drinking water. In Australia, we have the luxury of quality tap water, yet despite this:
- Australians spend more than half a billion dollars a year on bottled water. Last year, the sale of bottled water increased by 10 percent.
- Producing and delivering a litre of bottled water can emit hundreds of times moregreenhouse gases than a litre of tap water.
- According to British research, drinking one bottle of water has the sameenvironmental impact as driving a car for a kilometre.
- In many cases, a litre of bottled water is more expensive than a litre of petrol.
- Department of Environment and Climate Change estimates that 200ml of oil is used to produce, package, transport and refrigerate each litre bottle of bottled water. As a result, at least 50 million litres of oil are used in the manufacture and distribution of bottled water in Australia every year.
- Australia recycles only 36% of PET plastic drink bottles.
- In South Australia, which has Container Deposit Legislation, the plastic bottle recycling rate is 74%. A 2007 national Newspoll commissioned by Clean Up Australia found that those polled 82% support a CDL scheme of 10c on bottles.
- Australia’s annual use of bottled water generates more than 60,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions - the same amount that 13,000 cars generate over the course of a year.